Monday, June 11, 2012

Memory on Windows 7 64

Windows 7 64 often comes with 4 or 6GB or RAM.  Although it sounds enough, I kept finding my system 'freezing'  Checking memory use, it normally 'froze' when all the physical memory had been used, ie 6GB, and the rest of memory was virtual memory.

The fix was a very simple, and actually low cost memory upgrade.  Buying 8GB of RAM, let me install 2x4GB and 2x2GB chips giving a total of 12GB.  My first attempt on a DELL PC displayed just 8GB of RAM and not 12GB.  An e-mail enquiry to Dell Support indicated that the memory has to be arranged in pairs.  In this case it was the higher capacity in the first two memory slots.  After this, all 12GB  was available.

Since the upgrade, I have rarely hit the 12GB capacity, and the PC has remained much more responsive.

No comments:

Post a Comment